Monday, November 9, 2009

Learning to Run: Advice for the Running-Challenged [by Mary Catherine Owen]


Photo courtesy of MotivatedPhotos.com

I would be the first to tell you that I am not a good runner. People assume that because I have long legs (I'm 5'11"), I must be fast, but I prefer to use my powers of tallness for power walking or reaching things on the top shelf.

In that spirit, here are some examples of resources I could use to improve my running (or, you know, learn how to do it in the first place). Fellow running misfits, take note.

This video about proper running form shows how your body should move while running long distances.

I took a quiz about the 11 most common running mistakes and was told that I was an expert runner. If you say so, Women's Health! I think I just made some good educated guesses.

I like this author's approach to running as something that should be enjoyed, regardless of one's ability level.

The Complete Running Blog Network (whose tagline -- "bloggers with a running addiction/runners with a blogging addiction" -- would describe Abby well, I think) has a special archive of bloggers' posts about learning how to run.

I have a phobia of going to the gym because I don't know how to use a treadmill. I hope these guidelines help me when I take my inaugural trip to the campus fitness center this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment