Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Can You Tell Me How to Run, How to Run on Sesame Street? [by Mary Catherine Owen]



Photo courtesy of MyAirShoes.com

If you've been on Google's homepage in the past week, or if you're just a fan like me, then you might be aware that today is Sesame Street's 40th anniversary, the show having debuted on November 10, 1969.

Sesame Street is usually known for teaching letters and numbers, but they have always covered other important topics as well, such as health and fitness.

The Sesame Street website has an awesome archive of videos from all 40 years of the show, including ones about running. There are also plenty to be found on YouTube, as you can see from some of my favorites below.

Grover's Monster Workout Video


This is so '80s-looking, but according to Muppet Wiki, it actually first aired in 2003. Either way, I want Grover to be my personal trainer.

Monsterpiece Theater: Chariots of Fur



I love the closeups of the puppet feet -- and the super-slow-motion sequence at the end!

Gordon's Morning Run



I guess Chariots of Fire is an easy target to parody.

Happy birthday to Sesame Street, the longest-running children's television show! (See what I did there?)

No comments:

Post a Comment